2023 – 2024
The Digital Communications intern will work closely with the Communications Director to further the mission of the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless (CCH) through equitable and inclusive use of digital media in many of its formats. From creating and writing content to connecting with BIPOC allies and influencers to grow the digital reach for CCH’s work. The role Is key to Informing audiences of who and what CCH is.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is a 43-year-old systemic advocacy organization. CCH develops campaigns and initiatives to address the causes of homelessness – lack of affordable housing, lack of access to health care and services and lack of jobs paying a living wage. We place much emphasis on organizing and developing leaders within the homeless population to become spokespersons and leaders of our various initiatives. CCH does its work in accordance with its organizational values – collaboration, integrity, strategic action, compassion, and intersectionality. We recognize that homelessness is a problem that steps from systemic racism and that biases and prejudices are embedded in the fabric of society, and thus also permeate organizations like ours. CCH is committed to advancing racial equity in the workplace, through the work of our racial equity committee, and through the campaigns and initiatives we choose.
- Content Creation
- Assist in compiling and drafting content including graphics and videos for CCH’s monthly enewsletter and social media platforms .
- Ensures brand consistency across email and social platforms.
- Marketing and Copywriting for social and email platforms.
- Events + Actions
- Assist at in-person events with live streaming.
- Contribute to coverage of events through asset collection.
- Support in creating post event content.
- Media List Building
- Compile and organize CCH’s media list within social platforms for direct messaging for real-time-use.
- Research and find BIPOC-focused influencers and/or allies who focus on community, issue-driven list of community, locally focused allies with influence.
- Entry-level position, designed for a candidate who is dedicated and passionate about social and email platforms where storytelling is inclusive and equitable.
- Should be deadline driven and is interested in the dynamics of digital communications environment.
- Demonstrated copywriting and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and racial equity.
- Demonstrated interest in non-profit digital growth.
- A self-starter, working well in a collaborative setting.
- Experience with housing and homelessness issues preferred.
- Preferred: Proficiency in MS Office, WordPress, Social Platform Engagement and Reach and Email platforms for organizations.
Intern will receive a $1,250 stipend at the completion of each semester CCH works in hybrid setting; in-office and on-site hours along with remote (local) work.
16-20 hours/week, Fall 2023-Spring 2024
Hybrid hours Include: In-Office availability on Mondays (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and In-person events as needed. Remote location is in the Chicagoland area.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter (directed to Vanessa Alvarez) and 2-3 samples of social media and 2 enewsletters or something similar you created or worked on via coordination firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2023-24 Digital Communications Internship Application. Portfolio and URLS are accepted. Deadline to apply is September 20, 2023.
As of July 1, 2022, all employees should be up to date on vaccination series as indicated by the CDC. The currently approved vaccines under this policy are Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and boosters. No vaccine shall be designated unless and until it is fully approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or approved by the FDA for emergency use authorization. Employees are in compliance with the vaccine mandate two weeks after receiving the last vaccination required to be up-to-date in the series. Timing and dosage (one shot for Johnson & Johnson, two shots for Moderna with 28 days between shots, two shots for Pfizer with 21 days between shots and boosters as they become eligible).
Prospective employees will be expected to comply with this policy within two months of accepting their offer of employment.
The Chicago Coalition for the Homeless believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength and recognizes and values the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization. We are enriched by the diverse experiences, beliefs, and ways of thinking that employees of different backgrounds bring.
People of color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply. Fair consideration is given to all qualified applicants regardless of criminal record. CCH is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or any other legally protected status.