Last year, Illinois school districts served over 53,000 students experiencing homelessness. These students received crucial supportive services due to state and federal legislation that supports necessary school programs for students experiencing homelessness. Once Illinois students graduate high school, they lose access to this critical support system, and are left to face significant and unique barriers to attending college alone. These barriers often include completing financial aid forms without parental input and losing housing when residence halls close during school breaks.
Illinois legislators are moving to join nine other states who have passed legislation to address this issue and increase accessibility to college for students experiencing homelessness. The College Access Bill (SB2548) creates an opportunity for schools to assist students experiencing homelessness. SB2548 gives students access to a homeless liaison who will help navigate the unique challenges they face throughout the college experience.
You can help students access services by taking a minute to fill out a witness slip in support of SB2548. Simply fill out this slip (instructions below) to let the Higher Education Committee in the Senate know you support SB2548. We believe that all students can be successful when given access to the tools they need to succeed. Together we can ensure that all Illinois students have access to the right tools.
- Fill out your name, address, city, state and zip code. If you’re filling out the witness slip on behalf of your organization, then use your organization’s contact info. If you’re filling out the witness slip on your behalf as an individual, then use your personal contact information.
- If you’re filling out the witness slip on behalf of your organization, then fill out the appropriate info under Firm or Agency, Title, Email, and Phone. If you’re filling out the witness slip on your behalf as an individual, then put “NA” under Firm or Agency and “NA” under “Title”. Fill out your personal information for the Email and Phone.
- If you’re filling out the witness slip on behalf of your organization, put in the name of the organization under “Representation”. Otherwise, put in “NA”.
- Under “Position” mark “Proponent”.
- Under “Testimony”, mark “Record of Appearance Only”.
- Check the box to accept the Terms of Agreement and then click on “Create Slip” when you’re ready to submit your witness slip. You’ll receive an email with a copy of your witness slip.