Posted October 21, 2021
The Community Outreach Assistant is a temporary, part-time, entry-level position. The position is responsible for assisting with shelter-based and neighborhood outreach to single adults, families and other key stakeholders who are impacted by homelessness. This position will work to change policies and laws which could create access to a dedicated stream of revenue to create affordable housing initiatives by working with grassroots leaders to support CCH’s city and statewide strategic organizing campaigns. This position will also work to advance racial equity.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is a 41-year-old systemic advocacy organization. CCH develops campaigns and initiatives to address the causes of homelessness – lack of affordable housing, lack of access to health care and services and lack of jobs paying a living wage. We place much emphasis on organizing and developing leaders who have experienced homelessness to become spokespersons and leaders of our various initiatives. CCH does its work in accordance with its organizational values – collaboration, integrity, strategic action, compassion, and intersectionality. We recognize that homelessness is a problem that stems from systemic racism and that biases and prejudices are embedded in the fabric of society, and thus, also permeate organizations like ours. CCH is committed to advancing racial equity in the workplace, through the work of our racial equity committee, and through the campaigns and initiatives we choose.
- Re-establish connection with a base of shelter programs through in-person and virtual outreach
- Attend BCH coalition meetings
- Build strong relationships with grassroots leader residing in the shelters
- Works in collaboration with all CCH departments—CCH believes strongly in interdepartmental collaboration and expects all staff to work in close partnership with the other departments at the organization
- Current or former grassroots leader of CCH
- Basic understanding of community organizing
- Proficient in Google docs, Google sheets, Excel and Word
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and work to advance racial equity
- Demonstrated ability to stay on task and meet deadlines and goals
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a non-exempt, 10-15 hours per week part-time position for the term of 6 months, with the possibility of extension.
$22 per hour
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to: email@example.com
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength and recognizes and values the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization. We are enriched by the diverse experiences, beliefs, and ways of thinking that employees of different backgrounds bring.
People of Color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply. Fair consideration is given to all qualified applicants regardless of criminal record. CCH is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.