The Central Illinois Community Organizer is responsible for staffing the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless’ State Network in central Illinois. The organizer will work and coordinate with Jim Picchetti, Associate Director of Organizing and State Network Coordinator. The organizer is responsible for bringing together homeless youth and adults, homeless families, homeless shelters, housing programs, and others that care about impacting homelessness, to change policies and laws that improve the lives and increase community resources for people experiencing homelessness.
This position is based in central Illinois. Not Chicago. The location in central Illinois is flexible based on the candidate. For this position, central Illinois borders are I-80 on the north, Springfield on the south, the state’s eastern border, and the state’s western border.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is a 38-year-old systemic advocacy organization. CCH develops campaigns and initiatives to address the causes of homelessness – lack of affordable housing, lack of access to health care and services, and lack of jobs paying a living wage. We place much emphasis on organizing and developing leaders within the homeless population to become spokespersons and leaders of our various initiatives. CCH does its work in accordance with its organizational values: collaboration, integrity, strategic action, compassion, and intersectionality.
The Central Illinois Community Organizer’s duties will include:
- Building and maintaining the CCH State Network
- Maintaining strong core groups at homeless shelters and housing programs in central Illinois
- Developing strong community leaders within the core groups
- Working with the CCH State Network Organizing Committee to develop and staff strategic campaigns that will result in the improvement of lives and increasing resources for people experiencing homelessness in Illinois
CCH is looking for a person that is good at developing relationships, understands strategy, and wants to ensure people in central Illinois can use their voice to create change.
- Demonstrated leadership development skills
- Demonstrated communications skills
- Good team player, but also able to start and maintain your own projects
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Strong writing, speaking and computer skills, including video and tele-conferencing platforms, and expertise in MS Office Suite
- Familiarity with central Illinois
- This position requires travel throughout central Illinois and scheduled trips to CCH’s Chicago office. A valid driver’s license is required.Preferred:
- Spanish language ability
- Experience as both a trainer and a supervisor
- Experience running strategic issue campaigns
- Previous experience organizing and/or community engagement in central Illinois communities
Salary range: $35,000 – $38,000 based on experience, highly competitive benefits package
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength and recognizes and values the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization. We are enriched by the diverse experiences, beliefs, and ways of thinking that employees of different backgrounds bring.
People of color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply. Fair consideration is given to all qualified applicants regardless of criminal record. CCH is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.