(Posted April 26, 2018)
Reports to: Director of Organizing
The Associate Director of Organizing, Strategic Campaigns is responsible for CCH’s city-level strategic organizing campaigns. Initially, this work will focus on an initiative that brings together key stakeholders to change policies and laws to create a dedicated stream of revenue for affordable housing and services for those experiencing homelessness. This position provides leadership on CCH’s organizing team and works in close collaboration with CCH’s policy and legal departments.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is a 38-year old systemic advocacy organization. CCH develops campaigns and initiatives to address the causes of homelessness – lack of affordable housing, lack of access to health care and services and lack of jobs paying a living wage. We place much emphasis on organizing and developing leaders within the homeless population to become spokespersons and leaders of our various initiatives. CCH does its work in accordance with its organizational values – collaboration, integrity, strategic action, compassion, and intersectionality.
- Co-lead with the policy department a citywide campaign to increase revenue toward ending homelessness, including:
- Build and maintain a citywide coalition
- Develop and execute strategies to secure support among voters and elected officials
- Plan, conduct and execute direct actions and other tactics, including the coordination of door knocking and phone banking work
- Supervise organizing staff who will be building a base around the campaign, and potential other campaigns
- Co-staff development of a core group of leaders who will be engaged in coalition meetings and actions
- Assist with community organizing training
- Other duties as assigned
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building and collaboration, who are results-oriented, strong strategic thinkers, who want to build power, and have strong project management skills.
- 5 or more years prior experience leading grassroots organizing or political campaign
- Familiarity with a diverse range of organizing tactics and strategies
- Demonstrated success in leading campaigns
- Experience with coalitions
- The ability to think strategically
- Commitment to racial, economic, gender and social justice.
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Track record of working collaboratively internally and externally
- Demonstrated ability to stay on task and meet deadlines and goals
- Experience supervising organizers
- Experience as a trainer and fluency in Spanish are a plus
Salary Range: $56,000 – $61,000, depending on experience.
Excellent benefits, including health, four weeks paid vacation, and a sabbatical program.
To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength and recognizes and values the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization. We are enriched by the diverse experiences, beliefs, and ways of thinking that employees of different backgrounds bring.
People of color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply. Fair consideration is given to all qualified applicants regardless of criminal record. CCH is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.