Jobs & Internships
Associate Director of Policy (Posted February 9)
The Associate Director of Policy is responsible for leading city-level policy work at the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless (CCH), with a primary focus on increasing city resources for affordable housing for extremely low-income households. This person is responsible for all policy research related to city level campaigns, including developing specific policy proposals and analyzing data to help shape those proposals and the need for them. In collaboration with organizing staff, the Associate Director of Policy will develop a campaign strategy and lead coalition efforts to enact city-level campaign proposals.
CCH is a 37-year-old advocacy organization working to address the root causes of homelessness: the lack of affordable housing, the lack of living wage jobs, and the lack of supportive services. CCH does not provide direct services other than legal aid, but organizes homeless people to work on campaigns. CCH is founded on the belief that decent, safe, and affordable housing is a human right in a just society.
- Researches and develops policy proposals and strategies for advocacy campaigns
- Staffs CCH program committees and helps shape and direct committee initiatives. Develops leadership among committee participants, recruits new members and leaders for committee.
- Does research to gather credible data and information necessary to develop specific policy proposals and implement campaigns.
- Helps develop a variety of materials to support both short and longer-term efforts. These may include responding to crisis situations.
- Responds to press and community requests for information.
- Represents CCH in efforts initiated by other organizations when these efforts relate to the reduction and prevention of homelessness.
- Works with policy staff to hire and supervise interns
- Develops campaign strategies and leads campaigns jointly with organizing staff
- Works with organizing staff, develops organizing skills as they relate to policy work
Bachelor of Arts degree in related field, Masters degree preferred
Minimum of 5 years’ experience in policy advocacy work
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Excellent relational/relationship building skills
Experience leading coalitions
Understanding/experience with principles and strategies of community organizing preferred
$58,000 – $63,000, based on experience, highly competitive benefits package
Tuesday, February 28
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to CCHpolicyjob@gmail.com
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age. People of color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply.
No other staff positions are open at this time.
If interested in an unpaid internship at CCH, please email the director or staff member who oversees the area in which you would like to intern.
CCH places more than 20 interns a year with its public policy, community organizing, legal and development staffs.
Most interns are college and graduate students earning academic credit. Most internships run through the academic year or during the summer.