Central Illinois Community Organizer
The Central Illinois Community Organizer is responsible for staffing the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless’ State Network in Central Illinois. The Organizer is also responsible for bringing together homeless youth and adults, homeless families, homeless shelters and housing programs, and others who care about impacting homelessness to change policies and laws that improve the lives and increase community resources for people experiencing homelessness.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is a 38-year old systemic advocacy organization. CCH develops campaigns and initiatives to address the causes of homelessness – lack of affordable housing, lack of access to health care and services and lack of jobs paying a living wage. We place much emphasis on organizing and developing leaders within the homeless population to become spokespersons and leaders of our various initiatives. CCH does its work in accordance with its organizational values – collaboration, integrity, strategic action, compassion, and intersectionality.
The Central Illinois Community Organizer’s duties will include:
- Building and maintaining the CCH State Network
- Maintaining strong core groups at homeless shelters and housing programs in Central Illinois
- Developing strong community leaders within the core groups
- Working with the CCH State Network Organizing Committee to develop and staff strategic campaigns that will result in the improvement of lives and increasing resources for people experiencing homelessness in Illinois
- 2-3 years experience as a community organizer in a direct-action community organization is preferred, but not mandatory
- Strong leadership development skills
- Strong communications skills
- Good team player, but also able to start and maintain your own projects
- Experience running strategic issue campaigns
- Preferred previous experience organizing in Central Illinois communities
- Experience as both a trainer and supervisor are a plus
- Strong writing, speaking and computer skills, including video and tele-conferencing platforms, and expertise in MS Office Suite
- The ability and willingness to travel throughout Illinois and to Chicago to work with other staff as necessary
- Spanish speaking is an asset
Salary range: $35,000-$38,000 based on experience, highly competitive benefits package
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com.
The Chicago Coalition for the Homeless believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength, and recognizes and values the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization. We are enriched by the diverse experiences, beliefs, and ways of thinking that employees of different backgrounds bring.
People of color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply. Fair consideration is given to all qualified applicants regardless of criminal record. CCH is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
If interested in an unpaid internship at CCH, please contact:
- For policy internship inquiries, email Mercedes González
- For law internship inquiries (law students only), email Patricia Nix-Hodes
- For community organizing internship inquiries, email Wayne Richard
- For development internship inquiries, email Michael Nameche
- For media internship inquiries, email Anne Bowhay
CCH places more than 20 interns a year with its public policy, community organizing, legal and development/media staff.
Most interns are college and graduate students earning academic credit. Most internships run through the academic year or during the summer.