Job Opportunity: Policy Fellowship
If interested in an unpaid internship at CCH, please email the director who oversees the area in which you would like to intern.
Jobs listings at other non-profits are available at sites such as NPO.net
Posted September 30, 2o14
Position Announcement: Policy Fellowship
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is a 34-year old systemic advocacy organization. CCH develops campaigns and initiatives to address the causes of homelessness – lack of affordable housing and jobs paying a living wage. We place much emphasis on organizing and developing leaders within the homeless population to become spokespersons and leaders of our various initiatives.
The Policy Fellowship is an opportunity for someone with limited job experience to get their feet wet doing policy and organizing work, with an emphasis on Springfield legislative advocacy. The fellowship is for one year, with a possible renewal for a second year. The fellowship includes a stipend of $25,000, a local travel stipend, health and dental insurance, vacation and sick time. All out-of-t0wn travel costs will be covered in full. The position is full-time, starting January 2015.
- Researches and develops policy proposals.
- Regularly attends legislative session days in Springfield to advocate for policy initiatives.
- Staffs CCH program committees and helps shape and direct committee initiatives. Develops leadership among committee participants, recruits new members and leaders for committee.
- Does research to gather credible data and information necessary to develop and implement campaigns.
- Researches and writes a variety of materials including reports, fact sheets and letters to support both short and longer-term efforts.
- Responds to press and community requests for information.
- Represents CCH in efforts initiated by other organizations.
- Develops campaign strategies with organizers.
- Works with organizing staff, develops organizing skills as they relate to policy work.
Bachelor of Arts degree in related field preferred
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Experience with housing, youth, criminal justice, or homelessness issues preferred
Commitment to social justice
Must be willing to travel frequently
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to: Jennifer Cushman, Chicago Coalition for the Homeless, 70 E. Lake St., Suite 720, Chicago, IL 60601, or email to email@example.com.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age. People of color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply.