Led by 15 formerly homeless adults, our Speakers Bureau reaches more than 3,000 people each year at events hosted by schools, universities, religious and civic groups.
“What the coalition does is let my face and voice represent what we need to do to make a change,” says Leeanna Majors (shown right, in the hat).
Our speaking team is passionate about its work and inv0lves the most active homeless leaders at CCH. They talk about their own experiences, and advocate on issues related to school access, housing and jobs, and developing opportunities for homeless and at-risk people to get back on their feet.
The Speakers Bureau reached 3,411 people at 87 venues in the FY 2012. CCH staff members also may be available to join presentations.
Through its outreach, the Speakers Bureau mobilizes volunteers to work with CCH. In the 2011-12 school year, 299 students were active at six colleges and universities: Columbia, DePaul, Dominican, Elmhurst, Loyola and Trinity Christian; four Chicago Public high schools (Mather, Orr, Al Raby and Tilden), Deerfield’s Chicagoland Jewish High School, Northwestern University’s Sheil Catholic Center, and Mercy Home for Boys & Girls. Volunteers join homeless leaders in advocating locally and in Springfield.
Our topics include:
• Offering community organizing and support to shelter programs
• Providing homeless families with access to affordable housing
• Assisting homeless and unaccompanied youth with basic needs
• Advocating for the educational rights of homeless children and teens
• Securing job training and living wage employment
• Community re-entry after incarceration
• Surviving prostitution and sex trafficking
For more information, contact Associate Organizing Director Hannah Willage at (312) 641-4140 or firstname.lastname@example.org To schedule a speaking engagement, please complete a Speakers Bureau Request Form.