Led by 15 formerly homeless adults, our Speakers Bureau reaches more than 3,800 people each year at events hosted by schools, universities, religious and civic groups.
“What the coalition does is let my face and voice represent what we need to do to make a change,” says Leeanna Majors (shown right, in the hat).
Our speaking team is passionate about its work and inv0lves the most active homeless leaders at CCH. They talk about their own experiences, and advocate on issues related to school access, housing and jobs, and developing opportunities for homeless and at-risk people to get back on their feet.
The Speakers Bureau reached 3,873 people at 83 venues in 2015.
Through its outreach, the Speakers Bureau mobilizes volunteers to work with CCH. In the 2014-15 school year, 252 students were active at 10 colleges and universities: Catholic Theological Union; Chicago State University; Columbia College; DePaul, Dominican, Loyola, Northeastern Illinois and Northwestern universities; Trinity Christian College; and Northwestern’s Sheil Catholic Center; and at five Chicago Public high schools, Alternatives, Collins, Mather, Tilden and Uplift.
Our topics include:
• Offering community organizing and support to emergency shelter programs
• Providing homeless families with access to affordable housing
• Assisting homeless and unaccompanied youth with basic needs
• Advocating for the educational rights of homeless children and teens
• Securing job training and living wage employment
• Community re-entry after incarceration