Led by 15 formerly homeless youth and adults, our Speakers Bureau reaches about 4,000 people a year at events hosted by schools, universities, religious and civic groups.
“What the coalition does is let my face and voice represent what we need to do to make a change,” says Leeanna Majors, a founding leader on the Speakers Bureau.
Passionate about their work, our speakers are among the most active homeless leaders at CCH. They talk about their own lives and advocate on issues related to school access, housing and jobs, and developing opportunities for homeless and at-risk people to get back on their feet.
The Speakers Bureau reached 3,968 people at 82 venues in FY2018.
Through outreach, the Speakers Bureau also mobilizes students to work with CCH. In the 2017-18 school year, 146 students ran service learning projects from GEMS World Academy and Chicago Vocational, Crane, Harlan, and Solario high schools in Chicago; Niles West High School in Skokie; and Trinity Christian College of Palos Heights.
Our topics include:
• Offering community organizing and support to emergency shelter programs
• Providing homeless families with access to affordable housing
• Homeless and unaccompanied youth
• Advocating for the educational rights of homeless children and teens
• Securing job training and living wage employment
• Community re-entry after incarceration
For more information, contact VISTA Organizer Veronica Cullinan-Burnison by email or at (312) 641-4140. A fee is charged for Speakers Bureau engagements.
To schedule a speaking engagement, please complete a Speakers Bureau Request Form.