The Northern Illinois Community Organizer is responsible for staffing the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless’ State Network in Northern Illinois. The Organizer is also responsible for bringing together homeless youth and adults, homeless families, homeless shelters and housing programs, and others who care about impacting homelessness to change policies and laws that improve the lives and increase community resources for people experiencing homelessness.
For this position, Northern Illinois’ borders are I-80 on the south, Wisconsin border on the north, the state’s eastern border on the east, and the state’s western border on the west. The Northern Illinois Organizer will not be required to organize community leaders in the City of Chicago, however interested candidates from Chicago are encouraged to apply.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless is a 38-year old systemic advocacy organization. CCH develops campaigns and initiatives to address the causes of homelessness – lack of affordable housing, lack of access to health care and services and lack of jobs paying a living wage. We place much emphasis on organizing and developing leaders within the homeless population to become spokespersons and leaders of our various initiatives. CCH does its work in accordance with its organizational values – collaboration, integrity, strategic action, compassion, and intersectionality. We recognize that homelessness is a problem that steps from systemic racism and that biases and prejudices are embedded in the fabric of society, and thus also permeate organizations like ours. CCH is committed to advancing racial equity in the workplace, through the work of our racial equity committee, and through the campaigns and initiatives we choose.
- Building and maintaining the CCH State Network
- Maintaining strong core groups at homeless shelters and housing programs in Northern Illinois
- Developing strong community leaders within the core groups
- Working with the CCH State Network Organizing Committee to develop and staff strategic campaigns
- Work in collaboration with other CCH departments
CCH is looking for a person that is good at developing relationships, willing to advance racial equity, understands strategy, and wants to ensure people in Northern Illinois can use their voice to create change.
- Demonstrated leadership development skills
- Demonstrated communications skills
- Good collaborator
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Strong writing, speaking and computer skills, including video and tele-conferencing platforms, and basic understanding of the MS Office Suite
- Familiarity with Northern Illinois
- This position requires travel throughout Northern Illinois
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Spanish language proficiency
- Previous experience organizing and/or community engagement in Northern Illinois communities
Salary range: $35,000-$38,000, based on experience
Excellent benefits include health insurance (90% employer paid), dental, life and disability insurance (100% employer paid), optional Flexible Spending Accounts, 401(K) contribution, four weeks’ vacation, and a sabbatical program.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chicago Coalition for the Homeless believes that personnel diversity is an organizational strength, and recognizes and values the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization. We are enriched by the diverse experiences, beliefs, and ways of thinking that employees of different backgrounds bring.
People of color and people who have experienced homelessness or poverty are strongly encouraged to apply. Fair consideration is given to all qualified applicants regardless of criminal record. CCH is committed to providing equal employment consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.